You could receive a Gateways Scholarship to help pay for your college coursework if you...
- Care for children in an Illinois DCFS licensed program or ISBE funded Preschool for All program.
Employed by an Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (IDCFS) licensed full-day/full-year child care program in one of the following positions: center director, assistant director, teacher, assistant teacher, school-age teacher, school-age assistant, family child care provider, family child care assistant, group home provider, or group home assistant.
Employed by an IDCFS licensed school-age care program operating nine months per year in one of the following positions: director, assistant director, teacher, or assistant teacher.
Employed by an ISBE funded Preschool for All program that operates a minimum of nine months per year, as a teacher, or teacher's aide.
Gateways Scholarship Program funding has been depleted for scholarships supporting the attainment of an ISBE Professional Educator License, ESL/Bi-lingual Endorsement, or for recipients who are employed by an ISBE-funded Preschool for All, through June 30, 2020.
Please Note: The Gateways Scholarship Program will continue to authorize coursework for recipients working towards early childhood/child development degrees/certificates/coursework not specified above.
- Have been employed at your current program for at least one year.
(90 days if employed at an ExceleRate Bronze, Silver or Gold Circle of Quality program.)
- Work a minimum average of 15 hours per week.
- Meet wage requirements.
Your wage determines the amount the Gateways Scholarship will pay for tuition.
Gateways Scholarship Program will not pay out of district costs.
% of tuition Gateways Scholarship Program Would Pay Applicant responsibility to college or university. Hourly Wage Gross Yearly Wage Working Full Time 100 0 up to $12.50 up to $26,020 90 10 $12.51 - $15.00 $26,021 - $31,220 80 20 $15.01 - $18.00 $37,460 - $43,699 70 30 $18.01 - $21.00 $37,460 - $43,699 60 40 $21.01 - $24.00 $43,700 - $49,920
- Are a citizen of the United States or a legal resident.
- Commit to future work in early care and education or school-age care depending on scholarship type.
Work commitment periods follow:
- Six months for completion of a coursework contract
- One year for degree completion
- One year for certificate, approval, or endorsement completion
The work commitment must be completed in one of the following early care and education or school-age care programs:
- IDCFS licensed full-day, full-year family/group child care home or center
- IDCFS licensed school-age program operating a minimum of nine months a year
- ISBE funded Preschool for All program