The Illinois ECE Competency Toolbox includes a variety of resources supporting assessment within a competency-based system.
View the Web Series short videos in a complete Playlist on YouTube or you can choose which video topic you would like to watch below.
- Introduction to the ECE Competency Mini-Webinar Series
- Where Did the ECE Competencies Come From?
- Why Competencies?
- Overview of the ECE Competencies
- Stackable, Leveled Credentials
- Competencies, Core Courses and Credentials
- Mapping Curriculum to Competencies
- Assessing Performance with Competencies
- Tour of the ECE Assessment Toolbox
- Webinar with Charla Long, Executive Director of the Competency-Based Education Network I
- Webinar with Charla Long, Executive Director of the Competency-Based Education Network II
Toolbox organization is based on the 7 Gateways Content Areas:
- CPD: Curriculum or Program Design
- FCR: Family and Community Relationships
- HGD: Human Growth and Development
- HSW: Health, Safety, and Well-Being
- IRE: Interactions, Relationships, and Environments
- OA: Observation and Assessment
- PPD: Personal and Professional Development
Assessments are included within each content area. The Assessments provided correspond to credential Levels (Level 2, 3, 4, and 5). Faculty select Assessments based on alignment between targeted competency and the highest leveled Assessment target.
Please note: Titles for each Assessment include Level and in some cases, Assessments include multiple choices for each level.
Curriculum or Program Design
Family Community Relationships
Human Growth & Development
Health Safety & Well-Being
Interactions, Relationships & Environments
Observation and Assessment
Personal & Professional Development
- Level 2-5 document DOC (47 KB)
- Curriculum or Program Design Master Rubric pdf PDF (190 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Family & Community Relationships Master Rubric pdf PDF (200 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Human Growth & Development Master Rubric pdf PDF (175 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Health Safety & Well-Being Master Rubric pdf PDF (249 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Interactions, Relationships & Environment Master Rubric pdf PDF (259 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Observation and Assessment Master Rubric pdf PDF (274 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Personal & Professional Development Master Rubric pdf DOC (18 KB) | Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
Master Rubrics are provided for each of the competencies included within the 7 Gateways Content Areas. Assessments can be designed based on using Master Rubrics in their entirety, or by using a unique compilation rubric rows.
Master Rubric Organization
Each Master Rubric includes the targeted competency in the column to the far left. Columns from left to right denote varying levels of proficiency for each targeted competency.
Master Rubric Color Coding Scheme
Master Rubrics are color coded based on Credential Levels rubric rows align to:
- Level 2 = Yellow
- Level 3 = Green
- Level 4 = Orange
- Level 5 = Blue
Higher Education Forum
April 15, 2021
- Opening Remarks and State Panel Presentations
- CBE & Innovation in Illinois: State of Field” by Dr. Martha Cheney, Dr. Charla Long, and Dr. Lisa McIntyre-Hite
- The Mind of the Child: What Neuroscience Reveals about Baby Brains, Learning, and Language by Dr. Patricia Kuhl and Patricia Chamberlain with Closing Remarks
April 16, 2021
- ECE Credential Competency Project Implementation facilitated by Joni Scritchlow
- Embracing Change & Transformation” by Dr. Jamilah R. Jor’dan & Closing Remarks
Peer-Reviewed Interest Sessions
- Keep Calm & Meditate On by Dr. John Ernst
- Bringing Voices to Decision Makers by Ireta Gasner
- Walk the Walk with NAEYC: Gateways to Opportunity and NAEYC Competencies by Dr. Antonia Potenza and Dr. Johnna Darragh-Ernst
- Integrating a Competency Based Education Approach: From Theory to Action” by Dr. Martha Cheney, Dr. Charla Long, and Dr. Lisa McIntyre-Hite
- Embedding Technology into Courses by Dr. Anni Reinking