The Illinois ECE Competency Toolbox includes a variety of resources supporting assessment within a competency-based system.
View the Web Series short videos in a complete Playlist on YouTube or you can choose which video topic you would like to watch below.
- Introduction to the ECE Competency Mini-Webinar Series
- Where Did the ECE Competencies Come From?
- Why Competencies?
- Overview of the ECE Competencies
- Stackable, Leveled Credentials
- Competencies, Core Courses and Credentials
- Mapping Curriculum to Competencies
- Assessing Performance with Competencies
- Tour of the ECE Assessment Toolbox
- Webinar with Charla Long, Executive Director of the Competency-Based Education Network I
- Webinar with Charla Long, Executive Director of the Competency-Based Education Network II
Toolbox organization is based on the 7 Gateways Content Areas:
- CPD: Curriculum or Program Design
- FCR: Family and Community Relationships
- HGD: Human Growth and Development
- HSW: Health, Safety, and Well-Being
- IRE: Interactions, Relationships, and Environments
- OA: Observation and Assessment
- PPD: Personal and Professional Development
Assessments are included within each content area. The Assessments provided correspond to credential Levels (Level 2, 3, 4, and 5). Faculty select Assessments based on alignment between targeted competency and the highest leveled Assessment target.
Please note: Titles for each Assessment include Level and in some cases, Assessments include multiple choices for each level.
Curriculum or Program Design
Family Community Relationships
Human Growth & Development
Health Safety & Well-Being
Interactions, Relationships & Environments
Observation and Assessment
Personal & Professional Development
- Level 2-5 document DOC (47 KB)
- Curriculum or Program Design Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Family & Community Relationships Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Human Growth & Development Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Health Safety & Well-Being Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Interactions, Relationships & Environment Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Observation and Assessment Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
- Personal & Professional Development Master Rubric with AlignmentDOC
Master Rubrics are provided for each of the competencies included within the 7 Gateways Content Areas. Assessments can be designed based on using Master Rubrics in their entirety, or by using a unique compilation rubric rows.
Master Rubric Organization
Each Master Rubric includes the targeted competency in the column to the far left. Columns from left to right denote varying levels of proficiency for each targeted competency.
Master Rubric Color Coding Scheme
Master Rubrics are color coded based on Credential Levels rubric rows align to:
- Level 2 = Yellow
- Level 3 = Green
- Level 4 = Orange
- Level 5 = Blue
Gateways ECE Credential and NAEYC Competency Alignment
Gateways to Opportunity® 2021 Reports
Gateways to Opportunity® ECE Credential Level 5 to Professional Educator License Bridge Report 2021
pdf Gateways to Opportunity ®Combined ECE Credential Competency Pilot and ECE Competency Prior Learning Assessment Pilot Report (5.54 MB)
- Nuts and Bolts of Modularizing
- Benefits of Modularization in Context of Competency Based Education
- Guiding Factors in Modularizing
- Modularizing Courses: Transfer Considerations
Higher Education Forum
Thursday, April 7, 2022
- Gateways Higher Education Forum Welcome and Opening
- Gateways Higher Education Forum State Panel Presentations
Friday, April 8, 2022
- Gateways Higher Education Forum Illinois Leading the Way - Keynote Address
- Gateways Higher Education Forum Thank You and Closing
- “I Need a Professional Educator License and I Have a Gateways ECE Level 5, What Can I Do?”
- Implementing the Gateways Credential Competencies: The Modularization of the ECE and Infant Toddler Credential Competencies
- Preparing Educators for the ESL/Bilingual Credential
- Using Technology Tools to Measure Competencies in the ECE Field